1.18.2010

hatred paralyzes life...

...love releases it." - Martin Luther King, Jr.


in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. day, here are some quotes of his which I greatly admire:


"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom."
- could this be any more poignant?

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

"Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies - or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."

"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
"

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."

"Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him."

one of my favorites:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."


and of course, one of his most famous, from the "I Have a Dream" speech...

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

well said, Mr. King....well said, and well done.

No comments: